Aviano Passport Office

Your gateway to traveling

The Aviano Passort Office assists with passports (tourist, no-fee, official, diplomatic) for military, DoD civilians, and dependents of military & DoD civilians (not contractors).

In addition to:

  • Visas for official travel for military & DoD civilians & their dependents (not for tourist travel)
  • SSN cards for newborns, replacement, and name changes
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad for newborns

Hours of Operation

Mon, Tue, Thu 9 am - 12 pm, 1:30 pm - 3 pm (Appointments Only)
Wed Closed

Passport/CRBAs Pick Up

Fri 9 am - 12:00 am, 1:30 pm - 3:00 pm

A parent or legal guardian may pick up the passport for a minor under the age of 16. Any person 16 and older MUST be present to pick up and sign for their passport. If you are picking up a renewal passport, YOU MUST BRING YOUR OLD PASSPORT, otherwise, you'll need to come back another time.

What We Offer

Important Passport & Visa Info

There has been an increase in members arriving at bases in Italy without the required no-fee or official passports containing Italian mission visas. This results in many problems for the family. Use the following information to help you and your family have a successful start to your tour here at Aviano.

What can I do to Prepare well for my PCS?As you prepare for your PCS, if you are active duty military bringing dependents or are a DoD civilian (with or without dependents), it is absolutely essential that *prior* to leaving your current assignment each member have the mandatory required no-fee or official passport that contains an Italian Missione Visa! If the passport agent at losing base gives you any different guidance, it is in error and they must refer to the DoD Foreign Clearance Guide. A tourist passport CANNOT be used in place of the no-fee passport.

What will happen if I do not have the required documents in-hand?If the required documents are not in-hand *prior* to departure and subsequent arrival in Italy, members will not permitted to enter Italy or will be subject to deportation should they somehow arrive without them. U.S. Passport Agents in Italy cannot process Italian mission visa applications. NOTE: EU citizens do not require a visa.

What is the difference between No-Fee & Official Passports?Blue no-fee passports are issued to dependents of military members, maroon official passports are issued to DoD civilians and their dependents. To distinguish a blue no-fee passport from a blue tourist passport, the no-fee has the following statement in the back: “This passport is valid only for use in connection with the bearer’s residence abroad as a dependent of a member of the American military or naval forces on active duty outside the United States.” No-Fee Passports are used for official travel of dependents, while Tourist Passports are used for all leave-type and leisure travel.

What should DoD Civilians & their dependents do to prepare?All DoD Civilians and their dependents must apply for their visas through the Passport Matters Office in Crystal City, VA and receive the Missione Visa from the Italian Embassy in Washington D.C. Work with the passport agent at the losing base to apply for the visa.

What if Italy is a Follow-On Assignment?If the Active Duty Member is on an unaccompanied tour and has Italy as a follow-on assignment the dependents still must have the visas for their dependents no-fee passports prior to their arrival in Italy. Work with the passport agent at your unaccompanied location for the specific requirements for how and where your dependents should apply for the visas at their designated location in the U.S.

Apply online for a U.S. Passport

Resulting Problems

Not Covered by the SOFA AgreementMembers are not covered by the SOFA Agreement and are only legally allowed to be in Italy for 90 days as a “tourist.” They then must exit Italy, obtain the visa, and reenter lawfully.

Cannot Obtain a Codice FiscaleMembers cannot obtain a Codice Fiscale (similar to an American social security number). Without this, members cannot set up an account with Banca Popolare (the on-base Italian bank) to pay rent, phone bills, or utilities, they cannot register vehicles, and they cannot establish a phone contract.

Cannot Obtain a SoggiornoMembers cannot obtain a Soggiorno, which is an authorization permit issued by the Italian government to reside in Italy more than 90 days. Without a Soggiorno, members cannot travel on AMC flights to/from base and cannot apply for Non-Appropriated or Appropriated fund jobs.

There's so much we can do!

Call us to see how we can help you!