Important Passport & Visa Info

Bottom Line

DO NOT leave the U.S. without your Official / No-Fee Passport & Visa
DO NOT ENTER ITALY until the start date of your Visa

Official Passport

Your No-Fee Passport is for Official Travel such as PCS, ETS, TDY, or travel between Europe and the U.S.

Before traveling to Italy, inbound Civilian, NAF employees and dependent family members who are U.S. citizens must apply for a No-Fee Passport at a Military Passport Office (or at current base (Not at Aviano AB). Non-U.S. citizens must apply for a country of origin passport. Take the following original or certified documents:

  • Military ID Card & PCS Orders
  • ORB/ERB (Newborn passports)
  • DoD member's ID (Back & Front copy)
  • DS-11 or DS-82 (with passport)
  • Birth, Naturalization or Citizenship Certificate
  • Name Change Documents (Marriage/Divorce decrees)
  • 2 Recent Passport Photos
  • Current and/or Expired Passports
  • Both parents must be present or have a notarized DS-3053

Process can take 8 or more weeks. More information: 31 FSS Passport Office


Once your U.S. No-Fee Passport or country of origin passport is ready, all Civilians, NAF employees and dependents must apply for an Italian Missione Visa (Type D) at your (current) Military Passport Office (embassy/consulate) before traveling to Italy. This visa will be affixed to the inside of your passport and used to apply for a Soggiorno upon arrival at Aviano. Take the original or certified documents with you:

  • Military ID Card front/back & PCS Orders
  • No-Fee Passport (must be signed before getting Visa)
  • Name Change Documents (Marriage/Divorce decrees)
  • 2 Recent Passport Photos

Visas can take 2-4 weeks.

Tourist Passport

Tourist Passports are required for leisure travel outside of the U.S. (or host nation) as well as travel throughout Europe once you arrive in Italy. It can take up to 8 weeks to process a tourist passport in Europe. Apply for a Tourist Passport prior to leaving the U.S. to avoid delays in travel!

Apply for tourist passports at any U.S. Post Office or visit:

Member is responsible for fees incurred to obtain a tourist passport.

The 31st FW Passport Office

The 31st FW Passport Office provides:

  • Passports (tourist, no-fee, official, diplomatic) for military, DoD civilians, and dependents of military & DoD civilians (not contractors).
  • Visas for official travel for military & DoD civilians & their dependents (not for tourist travel)
  • SSN cards for newborns, replacement, and name changes
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad for newborns

Visit: 31 FSS Passport Office for more information.