United States vs. European Electricity:

USA: 110-120 Volts 60 hertz
Europe: 220-240 Volts 50 hertz

Dual Voltage (& Hertz) Devices

If a device is dual voltage/hertz it only requires a simple plug adapter. If your device is dual voltage/hertz, its power source will be labeled: “110-240V, 50-60Hz”.

Lamps: The Dual Voltage Exception
Lamps generally do not need to be dual voltage to work in Europe. Change your 110v lamp’s U.S. light bulb to a European bulb, add a plug adapter, plug in, and you’re done!

German and Italian Adapter

In Italy, it’s hard to find a U.S. to Italian adapter, so sometimes you’ll have to use 2 adapters:

Plug U.S.device into German SCHUKO adapter (noted by two, slightly larger prongs with"ground strips" on the sides"

Plug German adapter into Italian adapter (often times, 3 thinner prongs)

Adapter vs. Transformer

Plug Adapter

Allows dual voltage electronics to fit into electrical outlet of host nation without voltage conversion. Just be sure the plug can handle the item’s wattage.


Used to adjust voltage [Not Hertz] for electronics with chips or circuit boards. It can be used continuously. Ensure the total wattage of items plugged in does not exceed the max wattage of the transformer. The base furniture management office will issue you 2 transformers (pending availability).